Saturday, April 21, 2012

Will I regret ONLY gathering?

My main is a lvl 44 gnome mage, an alchemist currently at 245. This has been fun BUT.. it kills me having to make soooo many potions and elixirs that are both useless to me and sell for zilch in order to get my alchemy levels up. So often the materials used for these things are worth FAR more than the creations themselves.. my particular hate is Catseye Elixir which no one wants and doesn't seem to work at all. How much more I would have made selling the materials.

Now that I have my mount <looks fondly at the tin bird> I am working on my other to-be-serious toon, a Blood Elf Warlock. I'm thinking this time I will only do skinning and mining (I need a break from herbs). I seriously think with the money I could have made selling materials used for alchemy I could have bought the handful of potions I actually use and twinked myself out happily with my profits if I so wished. So I'm thinking I will forgo all that and just gather and sell, gather and sell with my warlock.

Will I regret this later? Will I be handicapped at lvl 60 by not being at the pinnacle of a crafting profession? Please give me your feedback on this one folks!|||You can always powerlevel the profession you want once you hit 70. There's not too much worth having until then anyway. It's what I did with tailoring and didn't regret it.

If you're going to do it with tailoring you can always save enough cloth on another character then use it when you get to 70.|||Tailoring does have a few nice items along the way.

Same with Jewelcrafting.

It's not needed to have a crafting profession - far from. Pure gathering probably makes more money even. But personally, I liked having a crafting profession and wearing items I made myself.|||as a mage pick up tailoring speciality as early you can (if you want to be a tailor that is) to start make the cloth you will need at 70 , think its lvl 62 you can choose speciality.

And for me that went tailring from the start....the netherweave set is quiet nice between 60-70|||generaly speaking, all crafting professions just cost you. pick up tiloring when you hit outlands and power level it.|||My first ever toon (druid) is skinning/mining.

My second toon (hunter) engineering/enchanter.

My druid farms ore for my hunter to make all the bullets I use.

I've paid for my epic flight on the druid and almost there for my hunter.

I think it's imperative that you have one toon that can farm money for your other toons.

Repair bills, consumables, and other items for raiding add up.

I just started a lock that is herb/alchy.|||Other than Jewelcrafting, very few crafting professions have things that you can only craft for yourself prior to lvl 70. There are, what, two tailoring recipes that make bind-on-pickup items. On the other hand, there's a lot of stuff in most professions that are BoP when you hit lvl 70, so I strongly recommend looking into what you get from them at about lvl 65 then starting to work on them so you can make yourself some nice goodies when you hit lvl 70.|||Quote:








Will I regret this later? Will I be handicapped at lvl 60 by not being at the pinnacle of a crafting profession? Please give me your feedback on this one folks!




You will NOT regret this....and, think about it as 70, not 60.

You will occasionally need money for things (mainly mounts), and that money is gotten through mining and other things...(herbs is likely the best second choice).

Drops and quest rewards will provide you plenty of equipment and armor...so you won't need money for those.

Leveling up ANYTHING is easier as a 70....Do gathering while you are lower levels, since you run into the items as you level up.

If you want to provide herbs to a guild alchemist to make you some things along the way, that will cost you nothing, and you won't have to be the alch yourself.|||Thanks, this and the thread about gold and gathering professions was very helpful. As people pointed out, you can change. I will have my second toon a gatherer only, she will aim for wealth.|||Quote:








generaly speaking, all crafting professions just cost you. pick up tiloring when you hit outlands and power level it.




Totally agree with that one. Gather, gather, sell, sell.

Tailoring is a gold sink..a huge one until you get to Outlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment