Monday, April 16, 2012

Drop Alch for Ench

Hey guys currently I have a 48 Warrior main which is having second thoguhts on alchemy.

My current levels are herb 300/300 and Alch 235/300

Would it be a bad idea to drop alch for enchanting.

I mainly want to make money and alch is taking me nowhere and I would rather dump herbs in AH|||Quote:








Hey guys currently I have a 48 Warrior main which is having second thoguhts on alchemy.

My current levels are herb 300/300 and Alch 235/300

Would it be a bad idea to drop alch for enchanting.

I mainly want to make money and alch is taking me nowhere and I would rather dump herbs in AH




The more I look at the crafting professions, the more I think that they're not money makers and actually a lot of trouble to level up and continue. I'm gradually making all my guys gatherers only and selling the resulting herbs and minerals on the AH. It makes a lot more money and isn't half the trouble and bother of getting all the materials together to craft something (which, when put on the AH, doesn't sell for much, if at all). I'm including Enchanting in the crafting professions although you don't actually make anything. You still need materials, your own or someone else's, and the profusion of people offering in Trade to enchant items makes it hard to make much money. Cooking and Fishing, the two secondaries, are a different matter and both are very useful as well as making money.

The only primary one that makes sense to me to carry on with is Alchemy since I can make potions and elixirs for my alts and readily sell the ones I can't or don't want to use. And, I have to admit, I'm carrying on Engineering with one of my Gnomes. Why? Well, it's tedious and expensive finding all the necessary materials and much of what he makes can only be sold to other Engineers, but the items really are fun to make and use. However that's a personal indulgence and never ever a money maker.

Just my take on the whole thing......|||Crafting professions will not make you money. That said, Alch is good for Flasks and things. If you want money, just don't level it now, sell the herbs and level your toon. You can always level Alch later, there's nothing that says you need to level it as you level yor toon or that you have to level both professions equally. If I were you I'd keep Alch but not level it, continue gathering herbs and sell what you need for gold, banking the rest to level Alch later. If you need to sell some banked herbs, you can.

Do NOT level enchanting if you're after money. It will cost you money, not make it.

And don't fall into the trap of "must have lots of gold." The things you really need gold for are pretty few in the game. You need to be able to afford repairs, training and to buy your regular and epic land mounts. Assuming you are moving to Northrend at 68 there's no reason to buy your flying mount at 70... you can buy it at 77 with Cold Weather Flying (you can't fly in Northrend until 77). It's nice to have a few hundred to a few thousand gold on hand for other stuff but in general people waste money buying gear for leveling toons and other stuff that you can get along just fine without.|||Wouldn't I make a fair bit of profit sitting at AH when i'm bored and snatching up d/e values.|||Quote:








Wouldn't I make a fair bit of profit sitting at AH when i'm bored and snatching up d/e values.




I've heard that this is a viable way to make some gold. One guildie says often that he does it, makes a fair amount, and recommends that the rest of us try it. There's probably some advantage to it in that you buy the thing, d/e it and that's that. There's no hunting around for odd materials as there is with so many crafting professions.|||Quote:








I've heard that this is a viable way to make some gold. One guildie says often that he does it, makes a fair amount, and recommends that the rest of us try it. There's probably some advantage to it in that you buy the thing, d/e it and that's that. There's no hunting around for odd materials as there is with so many crafting professions.




Yeah cause Auctioneer tells me what would make a profit on the spot so I think I should be able to make a fair amount when I'm just chilling in org.

How would enchanting lose me money thoguh, aren't the mats from disenchanting?

Greens and everything are always dropping for me.|||Alchemy can and will make money at least on my server.

This is how I do it.

Pygmy suckerfish xmute into 1-2 pygmy oil each.

I buy a stack of fish (20) for around 50g, it will exmute into roughly 20-30 pygmy oil depnding on proc rate.

The oil then sells for 4-5g each which yields a profit of 40-100G depending on just how many oil I proc and if they are selling for 4 or 5 g each.

I put them on a 48 hour timer and can usually sell 20-40 in that amount of time, I haven't had any luck in selling over 40..they seem to expire.

I also have better luck with putting them in single stacks, or stacks of 5. The 20 stacks just don't seem to sell well. I'm guessing the people that need them are only buying a few at a time.

The other thing for me are runic mana pots. A 5 stack of pots go for 45-50g on my server. I use these pots myself.

I gather mats for approximately 10-15 pots and then make them. Due to regen mechanic change and being able to use only 1 pot, 10 pots will usually last me a few days so I start the raid-week with that many pots.

When making the pots, all the extras I proc I simply put on the ah. I commonly make 3-5 extra pots which yields 40-50 extra gold. The herbs are pretty much in line with the pots on my server. You could buy the herbs and make the pots, however if you did not proc many extra pots the 5% fee from the auction house would put you slightly in the negative when selling the pots.

That is why I just sell my excess and use the others I create. Occasionally I do not proc any at all leaving me with just what I need to use.

Herbalism is a lot more profitable than alchemy as a whole, I realize it is a gathering profession but things like icethorn really go for a lot on my server (70-75g per stack)|||I'm disappointed in the crafting professions (though I'm working fast to get my guys out of them and into gathering). Alchemy, yes - I can make useful potions and elixirs for the whole crew and sell leftover materials or extra crafted things on the AH. It makes a steady if not generous income and some things sell so fast that by the time my AH alt is back at the inn I'm being told that 'a buyer has been found for your auction of XXX'.

I don't have an enchanter, so don't really know how much you could make from actually enchanting things. Trade channel, though, is usually full of people offering to enchant items for gold or with the customer's materials to level up. It seems to me that there are too many to make much out of it.

I naively thought when I started the whole game that crafting professions would be a) enjoyable and b) at least somewhat profitable. Instead many are limited to buyers from your own profession or only sell for a pittance. I (and remember, this is just my opinion) find it not worth the effort and time.

It's a strange economy in WoW. I'm not sure what would happen in real life if only car makers could buy cars from other car makers or plumbers could only fix other plumbers' plumbing. I have a very good real life friend who is a mechanical engineer and he laughs at the idea that the things he works on could in WoW only be used by other engineers.|||Enchanting is a big loser because if you don't level it, you can't DE higher items. So you're forced to use up lots of expensive mats and it's really super expensive to level past 400.

My enchanter is always broke. He's like a black hole eating up all the cloth/greens of my other toons.|||Quote:








Enchanting is a big loser because if you don't level it, you can't DE higher items. So you're forced to use up lots of expensive mats and it's really super expensive to level past 400.

My enchanter is always broke. He's like a black hole eating up all the cloth/greens of my other toons.




OK, now I see why there are so many on Trade channel offering to enchant other players' items for nothing more than the provision of materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment